Earl Gregg Swem Library
College of William & Mary
Located at the very heart of the William and Mary campus, the Earl Gregg Swem Library, which opened in 1966, is home to more than 3 million manuscripts, 1.1 million cataloged volumes, and more than 20,000 electronic databases and online journals. A six‐year, $36.2‐million renovation and expansion of the facility was completed in 2005.
1717 was selected to develop a comprehensive signage system for the expanded three‐level, 268,000 SF building. The scope of work included developing graphic standards to unify the Library's evolving branding efforts; designing exterior building signage, interior directories and directionals; and signage identifying major destinations within the Library. Detailed orientation floor plans were created to help visitors visualize the location of all resources and services.